Array

How Long Does Hepatitis B Vaccine Protection Last?

Source: National Post

11/02/2009

A new study on the hepatitis B vaccine suggests the shots can offer protection for more than two decades. Three doses of hepatitis B vaccine were given to more than 1,500 Alaska Native adults and children over six months of age in 1981. In 2003, blood tests for nearly 500 in this group showed that more than half—60 percent—were still considered immune to the virus. The other 40 percent were given a booster dose of the vaccine to simulate infection, and more than 80 percent showed a protective immune response. More than 90 percent of the original group was protected and there were no long-term hepatitis B infections, report Dr. Brian J. McMahon, from the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, and his colleagues in the Journal of Infectious Diseases.



Copyright © 2014 Information, Inc.